23 Aug 2015

Personal/ity

I've already accepted that I'm mentally wired in quite a different way from the typical people I come across. I tend to see different perspectives. I don't like taking conventions for granted when they contradict my logic. It's almost frustrating trying to see what wavelengths others are on so I'm not totally out of sync.

I guess more people are willing to accept the idea of differences in personality and mentality than before. The idea of introversion and extroversion is a common hot topic on social networks, appropriately enough. Yet paradoxically it's gotten mainstream enough to the point that youths are very quick to label themselves in either of the camps, or even the third "ambiversion" camp. Not everybody's clearly introverted or extroverted or perfectly in between. Similarly, the autism spectrum disorders have the word "spectrum" for a reason: there's no clear distinction or generalisation. Not all autistic people have drastic symptoms, and some even exhibit pretty close to neurotypical behaviour with very slight differences.
I don't even bother with fixating on labels too much. Not even a personality type. I have taken personality tests before, but even I usually end up a blend of two categories. I don't even remember what INTP or INFJ or whatever the acronyms stand for now. Only that the first letter is - well - introversion or extroversion. Which again forces the intro/extroversion spectrum to a binary. I wouldn't be surprised if I took the same test a few days within each other and I'd get different resulting labels.

So I just end up taking note of characteristics and predispositions. Tendencies in my reactions and thought processes, not bound to any specific archetype. The tests do help a little in providing a general area to work with, but that wouldn't mean I'd suddenly go around trying to find others of the same "personality tribe", just so I can "be with my people". Unless the gatherings lead to active discussion of practical tips for self-management and social interaction and whatnot. That I'm fine with. But having the same results from an arbitrarily designed test isn't quite a strong basis alone to seek each other out. I bet that in some instances, having several people of similar personalities might lead to either noisy chaos or awkward silence.

All in all, I'm my own unique mixture of traits in varying degrees. Just as everybody else is. Lumping myself into a stereotypical pigeonhole isn't useful on its own, and usually I wouldn't fit neatly into one pigeonhole anyway. Also, my personality isn't stagnant and will subtly change over time, so what resonated with me before might not resonate now. But I would know which pigeonholes definitely aren't for me, which is fine and dandy.

(And if you're curious, the last True Colors test labelled me a Green type. Though I was previously Gold.)