28 Sep 2014

Post-Childhood

Well. It's been some time since I popped by here. And it's nearing October already.

October usually meant something fun. Children's Day. The day where you actually celebrated being the child you are. The day where you don't need to come to school, and have fun over the extra break day just doing child stuff. Watch TV holiday specials, go to carnivals, watch stage performances in school the day before... It was a nice relief, albeit a short temporary one, from the looming year-end exams. Especially with PSLE on your mind.

Now I don't even get those school holiday terms - or what I dub as lesson-less periods. Because the office doesn't really care if it's June or December. Work has to be done. One of the stark reminders that I'm no longer a kid.

Obviously I don't mean just in the biological sense. My mindset has to shift. My responsibilities have increased. My world is broadened.

Yet I crave that I could open a secret door back into the world of childhood, where everything was more carefree and innocent. Not to stay in there forever, but just to revisit once in a while when the going gets a little tough in the adults' realm.

Ever hear people tell you when you get older that "the time for fun and games is over"? That's not quite true. We always can allocate time for some silly childish fun. Just because we are older doesn't mean we have to kill the child in us.

And a few have even managed to get the inner child to work together with their outer adult, especially in creative fields. The child has access to boundless imagination, free from internal filters to sieve out "wrong" or "improper" ideas. The adult has access to discipline and experience. When both cooperate, magic happens.

So I very much want to keep my inner child around for as long as I live. Even till now I don't feel fully adult-like in my head. I'm definitely beyond the teenage era, but I don't feel any kind of adult/man switch suddenly turned on in my life.

Right now I'm gonna play as a child for a few hours.