2 Sep 2012

Writing A Blog Post

I arrive at the main Blogger site.

I check in a bit on how the blog statistics have changed: number of views, sources, where readers come from and what browsers they used (unfortunately a majority still used Internet Explorer), and if I'm lucky, whether people have left a blog post.

Then I decide whether I feel like posting something up. Hmm... "yeah, I don't want people to think this blog is dead", or "there's this idea in my head I want to get out before it dies!!!", or "somebody's saying something stupid/clever on the Internet, let me acknowledge and explain his or her stupidity/genius".

So here I am, with the post editor open, its blank white canvas tempting me to fill in something. So I try...

What idea is there that I want to take on? Should this be an intellectual discussion, or just a silly entry where I vent out feelings or undo mental knots? Did anything significant happen recently that I could talk about?

Hmm... what about that mother who made a police report against the teacher who cut her son's unkempt long hair before an oral exam? People have certainly been on the teacher's side, saying that the mother's making too much of a fuss about it... Nah, I'll just end up sounding like a parrot mimicking others' opinions, even though it's quite unfathomable to support the mother's over-the-top reaction. How about another issue?

Maybe the once again hot issue of cyclists and motorists on roads having problems with each other? That has a more diverse mixture of opinions on who should do what. Some think cyclists shouldn't be on the roads at all, being able to evade road tax and still "hog" road space while occasionally endangering other road users. As if putting the same reckless cyclists on pedestrian paths would be any safer when the danger shifts towards another group of people. It's also quite unfair to put the whole blame on cyclists, when there are motorists just as guilty of negligence on their part in terms of looking out for other cyclists. In fact both groups should really just learn to peacefully co-exist and adapt to each other's presence.

I should know that, since this was done for my group's Project Work... ...on second thought this is reminding me too much of school. Maybe I should save this for another future post.

Oh I'll just type some random words in and see if there's anything I can expand on. Err... "random", "umbrella", "music", "school", "death", "future", "people" – okay this is not working. I'm just spewing out rubbish. And even some of these words I use too often!

Fine, I'll peruse Facebook in hopes for even an iota of inspiration jumping at me. Let's see... somebody uploaded photos from an event I've no idea about... an elderly couple finally gets a group photo... Sasuke Singapore's nearing the finale already... more photos on Instagram... another blog post that seems mildly interesting...

Great. Not much to talk about. At least in my view anyway. Seriously brain, think of something to write! ANYTHING! I'M RUNNING OUT OF TIME HERE–

And then the idea comes in. Not a flash of revelation, but a foggy materialisation. It's an idea I can probably expand upon indefinitely if I wanted to, but it's probably not the time for that. It's also an idea weak enough to be suppressed by my mind, an insignificant afterthought that wouldn't hurt me if I forgot it. Yet I decide to take the chance of going along with this weird suggestion.

The first few statements roll out. I'm still unsure about this, but no, the delete key has been used too many times already.

More words: the idea becomes more concrete. Some erasures are made, but new fragments of sentences take up the voids. Soon I gain momentum, and the typing gets more fluid.

Finally I attempt to wrap the post up; it may seem clumsy, but it's better than going on endlessly without focus. There's a bit of inspection for mistakes like grammar, spelling, contradiction of ideas, weird phrasing, and occasionally missing critical information.

And the thought creeps in again: this post isn't really what I expected. There's no rush for me to do it by tonight, I can always do it proper tomorrow or a few days later! Nobody's really pressuring me to keep up to some arbitrary deadline, and I have every right to control how often these posts pop up. Why let time constraints stifle my quality of expression?

Perhaps this is right. I do have doubts, and maybe think of just saving this post as a draft before editing it again in the next morning.

Then I just go with my gut and click Publish. Who exactly am I hurting by giving away a possibly hastily-rushed post meant for others to see, when there aren't many people seeing it anyway?

Yet some part of me hopes I am significantly having an impact on readers. That means they care about the content in some way, even if it turns out to be rubbish.

Well I've already published the post. My mind's settled for now. The deed is done.

Feels a bit too late to take it all back, right?