24 Sep 2012

Deviant

"Wake up son! Today's the big day!"

...?

"Don't you remember? It's your birthday! You know what that means?"

"mmmhm... I get a cake?"

"That's right! I left it on the table! It's your favourite type of cheesecake!"

"But I don't even like chee–"

"No time to waste! Quickly get changed, we can't take a birthday family picture with you in your pajamas! Hup-hup!"

She seems unusually excited... what's going on?

...
"...there you are sweetie! Come take a look at your nice cake!"

"I told you already I don't like chee– ..."

"What's wrong honey?"

"Er... the writing on the cake..."

"Hmm, I don't see anything wrong with it, your name's spelt correctly..."

"Not that! What exactly do you mean by 'Good Luck With Your Journey'???"

"Why are you so surprised sweetie? Don't you remember? You're old enough to begin your quest to fulfill your dream!"

"What are you talking abo– Waaaaaiiiiiiit a minute... you can't possibly be... UGH! For goodness sake Mom, I don't WANT to go on this journey!"

"Don't talk to me like that, young man! And you know this is what you wanted to do your whole life!"

"No, it's what you wanted me to do your whole life! I never once wanted to do something like this!"

"Son, you know it's good for you. Think of all the adventures you'll get, the friends you'll bond with, the fame and glory you'll earn along the way! You'll make me proud for sure!"

"Are you saying I'm not making you proud already?!? I'm already doing well in school, and I already have friends in class! What's wrong with that?"

"The point is that this journey will benefit all of us, especially you–"

"How are you sure? Have you done such a similar thing before?"

"Whether I've done a thing like this is not important to this conversation–"

"It IS important! You're asking me to do something that even YOU don't know how dangerous it is!"

"Kids as young as you have made it out of this without so much a scratch on themselves, because of the companions they've made along the way. If they can do it, I'm sure you can too!"

"What makes you think I'm like them, Mom? And some of them were forced to do it –"

"–because their parents knew what good it'd do to them. Because they knew the results that would come out of this! Just look at the successful people out there and how much they're earning! They're rich and popular!"

"That's just a few special cases Mom. What about the other kids? Quite a few ended up with injuries, some even blacked out. A few are still missing out there!"

"What are you talking about? Those are just rumours!"

"They're not rumours, Mom! Some of those kids were my classmates! They told us this in school!"

"Oh son, you're not actually believing those silly liars so easily, are you?"

"WHY WOULD THEY LIE ABOUT THIS?"

"Don't shout at me young man! And why are you so stubborn?"

"Because I don't WANT to do this! Stop forcing your plans onto me!"

"I'm your mother, and I know what's good for you!"

"No you don't, and Dad knew better than this!"

"DON'T bring in that man! He's no longer your father! If he knew what was good for you he wouldn't leave us!"

"He was the one who told me to be myself, and follow my own dreams... which is not what you're letting me do!"

"THAT'S IT! I'VE HAD IT WITH YOU! ONE WAY OR ANOTHER YOU'RE GOING TO LEAVE THIS HOUSE AND START YOUR OWN JOURNEY!"

"M-Mom? What are you doing?"

"LISTEN YOUNG MAN. YOU JUST TURNED TEN, AND ARE NOW OLD ENOUGH TO BE INDEPENDENT. IF YOU DON'T DO THIS YOU'RE GOING TO BE A FAILURE."

"Mom, put that knife down. I'm not even old enough to get a job! Please, nobody has to get hurt."

"IF THAT IS WHAT IT TAKES TO GET YOU STARTED, I WILL DO JUST THAT, EVEN IF I CAN'T STAND HURTING YOU. IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD, SON."

"Mom? Listen, we can talk about this. Don't rush over this deci–"

Oh crap. I'm outside.

"There's a good boy. NOW DON'T COME BACK UNTIL YOU'VE MADE ME PROUD!"

"Mom? Don't do thi–"

SLAM!

...

"Mom, let me back in!"

"ABSOLUTELY NOT! And until you've become a master, I REFUSE to acknowledge you as my son!"

"Mom?"

"DON'T CALL ME THAT!"

"My stuff is still inside the roo–"

"I. SAID. DON'T. COME. BACK."

...

Great. Dad went missing for a few years, and now Mom threw me out of the house. Now what?

Oh wait there's one of my classmates there! He could let me stay with him at his place tonight.

"Hi there!"

...

"Er, hello?"

...

What's up with him? Is he deaf? Maybe I should get closer to him...

"Hello? Yoohoooo! You look spaced out, are you alri–"

"I just got my first Pokémon a week ago! Let us battle!"

"Wha–? Nononononononowait–"