26 Jan 2009

Happy(?) Lunar New Year

Today's the first day of the Lunar New Year celebrations. Most people would be currently watching the lion dance performance, or receiving red packets from their elders.

I used to do that every Lunar New Year. But not this time. Because my family's still mourning the passing of my grandfather, we can't visit other people's houses or give any red packets this year. That's why today is unusually quieter for a day of celebrations.

Of course, it's definitely not dead silent. My uncles and aunts are still playing Mahjong downstairs. The fact that we're in mourning won't stop us from having fun on a day like this, even though the celebrations are toned down a lot.

I really hope that all the other people I know are having fun today, being able to do the things I'm restricted from doing. I'm not saying that I'm jealous, but that you should really go out there and enjoy yourselves. Not everybody gets to celebrate.

Once again, have a happy Lunar New Year! :)